Glitter Text Generator at TextSpace.net

Monday 10 August 2015

Yayasan Penyelidikan Antartika Sultan Mizan - YPASM .... Shared by Teacher Roszita Mat Zin, SMK Tengku Ampuan Intan



Wow, its whale!!! Cikgu Roszita Mat Zin from Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tengku Ampuan Intan, Kuala Berang, Terengganu shared on her excitement meeting with whale!!

Roszita Mat Zin
Malaysia

Raise your hands up if you have ever eaten whale meat! Yup. Whale meat.

So today I’m going to talk about whales. This is another ‘First Time Moment’ for me. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not talking about me eating whale meat but about me seeing a whale for the first time. I didn’t get to eat whale meat when the other SOI members got the chance at the Children’s House because I went for a hike to the Santa Claus’s house. Yes, you read that right. Santa’s Claus’s house. Well, that story is for another chapter of my first time moment. Wait for that.

Getting back to my first time seeing a whale. It was during a zodiac cruise. Thank you Captain Trevor for your keen eyes and skills. He spotted the whale first and told us about that and when we turned around to look, the whale decided he was quite shy and needed to hide for a moment. hah, not quite. He or she did the dive and appeared to the surface and to our excitement did the tail flip. Yahoo….we got pretty close (but not that close because our great Captain Trevor said “we can’t go to close, aye”). So, we just kept quiet and observed the whale diving and appearing to the surface a few more times. I kept my squealing of excitement to the minimum. Hah. My first whale! And by the way it was a humpback whale.

After that groundbreaking moment (for me), we got to see more whales from the ship. Minke and Fin whales, they were feeding. I happened to stand on the deck with Dr. Chris and a few others when all of us gathered on the decks when the announcement of whales sighting was made. He told us the names of the whales we were observing because most of us couldn’t really see them. They were just spurts of water at several spots in the horizon. Dr Chris has this book on types of whales and how to identify them. Yup, I believe he got them right. And wait! That’s not all the highlights of the day. I saw my first seal too. One lonely little seal swimming alongside the ship. What a day!

-Roszita

- See more at: http://studentsonice.com/…/soi-arctic-2015-day-8-pond-inl…/… (Photo courtesy from Students on Ice)

No comments:

Post a Comment